And since my girls are getting older, going to school and bringing home stacks and stacks of adorable scribbles, crafts and artwork that I have no idea what to do with, I saw the inevitable writing on the wall... the plethora of homemade Christmas decorations and ornaments. Of course we will keep (some :) of them and of course we will use what we keep, but am I the only mama that dreams of sitting by her beautiful tree with a cup of coffee and soaking in the holidays? Growing up my mom was better than I will probably be. She gave up a (traditionally) beautiful tree to have a hodgepodge of macaroni art, hand colored ornaments and framed pictures. Yes, don't get me wrong that is completely beautiful in its own right, and I'm sure some of those things will end up on the tree mixed in with my other ornaments. But I was on a mission to come up with a new tradition where we could all get what we wanted. And then it occurred to me...
Why can't they have their own tree?!
It wouldn't have to be big or fancy and mama would do her best to let them have control over what went on it and where. They could make ornaments or buy them, nothing had to match, unless they wanted it to. It would be all theirs.
I talked it over with Jeff and then told the girls our plan. They were beyond thrilled. In fact, I may have mentioned it a little early because they have asked me about it every day since.
I found an inexpensive little four foot tree, purposefully bought one without built-in lights because I could only see that going poorly when they were trying to sleep, and have picked up a few ornaments and some craft supplies to decorate with. The girls have begged us to let them put it up in their room, so we're going to give it a shot and see how that works out!
I've told the girls that Saturday will be the day. We will make sure their room is all clean before we go to bed tonight, so that it will be ready in the morning. Each day this week after school we have been making a new ornament to decorate the tree with. So I imagine an early morning tomorrow full of hot chocolate, Christmas music and the start a new tradition. I think mama is just as excited as they are and we will all get what we want! I love making memories... and starting traditions.
I'll let you know how it goes.



Fun! I also do two trees...the 'adult' one is in the office where I can enjoy it. Ha.
ReplyDelete