They tell me one day I'll look back and laugh at days like these, but not today my friends... not today.
And I'll say this ahead of time- No, I did NOT take any pictures. I was doing good just to make it through this experience with all three of us in tact and no baby born out of stress.
The day started out like most have lately, this pregnant mama was still exhausted when R decided to get up at the crack of dawn and holler until her sister woke up as well. We had already settled into our morning and eaten breakfast by 7:15 which made for an incredibly long morning, by 9am I could have sworn it was time to be having lunch.
Sadly R has been a little under the weather, which means not only has she been grumpy and groggy from getting less sleep, but its been magnified by her sickness. So after yet another time of lashing out, Mama had to put her in timeout. As she sat on her bed serving out her sentence, I told Baby Girl over and over again to leave her sister alone until Mama said she could come out. I then proceeded to do some laundry and came back maybe three minutes later to find them both in R's room. I can only describe what I saw as something out of an episode of CSI. A thick deep, red substance covered both children and the entire room, and my jaw dropped to the floor. For a split second, I froze in shock. What in the world just happened!?
In my efforts to contain the chaos and control my intense emotions, both children were immediately stripped, thrown into the bathtub and threatened not to get out until Mama said so.
I then took a deep breath and again entered the crime scene. Somehow in those three short minutes, Baby Girl had managed to find four large bottles of snow cone syrup, that I did not know even still existed in our home. She managed to carry them through the kitchen and the living room and down the hall to the bedroom. She also grabbed a huge metal bowl her sister had previously been using as a drum and begin to pour the syrups in the bowl. But of course she's two, so how much of it really made it into the bowl? Yea, not much. The syrup cover much of the bedroom floor but somehow also made its way to nooks and crannies I didn't even know existed. Their room is already a disaster so I have no doubt that I will be finding stains for days or even weeks to come.
I spent the next hour cleaning up the "blood" that covered their room and trying to contain my frustration- not only for my children's sake, but because I really did not want to go into labor this way. Because if the stress of dealing with two toddlers wasn't enough, crawling on the floor on my hands and knees for an hour was really pushing my limits.
I just knew from beginning that my cleaning would be in vain and was already trying to decide in my head if we should get carpet again or just suck it up and get hardwood so this wouldn't be an issue next time. But by some miracle 95% of the syrup came out, all that is left are a few large, pink water rings that I'm hoping a good carpet cleaner will get out. The syrups eventually came out of the rugs, blankets and clothes they were wearing. It only took me like four extra loads of laundry to get them all clean :/ But seriously, if you look in any trash can in my house, you would think the roll and a half of paper towels I had to use were all covered in blood. It's very disturbing. But needless to say, none of this put me in a very good mood.
So exhausted from pregnancy and spending an hour on my hands and knees scrubbing, I decided to "drink" my troubles away. I threw clothes on my freshly cleaned children, grabbed a pair of sunglasses and a "respectable" t-shirt to go with my sweats and slippers and we headed to the closest Starbucks drive-thru. All I wanted was caffeine and a little peace and quiet, so I gave them both a baggy of goldfish and put Daniel Tiger on the iPad. Thankfully we made it there and back with no incidents and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.
I put all of our stuff down in the house, let Baby Girl out of the car and then went to get R out. R and I got to the backdoor, it was closed. I again took in a deep breathe because I was determined NOT to go into labor today and reached out for the doorknob.
I'll give you one guess as to what I found when I went to turn it...
I then spent the next 5-10 minutes (admittedly NOT using my inside voice) telling Baby Girl that she'd better unlock that door quick. Today is one of the coldest days of the year so far. I am in a t-shirt. R has on no socks. And we are locked out of the house. To say that I am upset, would be the understatement of the century. Oh and remember, I took everything INSIDE the house before I let Baby Girl out... no keys, no phone. She locked us out not even really understanding what she did, so getting her to UNdo it, is NOT going well. Eventually, by the grace of God, and for her good fortune, she did manage to unlock the door. But I don't think she will be locking it again anytime soon, and I'm going to be coming up with another way of getting into our house- immediately.
And that was all before lunch...
God-
Please let tomorrow be better.
Sincerely,
Mom of two toddlers
No comments:
Post a Comment