Saturday, October 17, 2015

As A Mother, What Am I Really Good At?

One day I got a Facebook message from a friend of mine. She is a freelance writer and was wanting insight on areas that moms felt they excelled in when it came to raising their children. Admittedly it took me quite a while to come up with a response. 

I don't think she intended the introspection she caused with that simple question. 

What do I believe I'm doing exceptionally well as a mother?

There are a number of things I do where I find myself adequate, but what I do great? Yea, I wasn't so sure about that one. Eventually I "resorted" to praying about it (which probably should have been my first thought) and the answer I received wasn't what I was expecting or honestly what I was hoping He would say. Surely I was missing some obvious area and God was going to bring it to my attention. Instead of God acknowledging my striving, He brought to my heart my own weaknesses. I was good at being imperfect.

The thing I excelled at in parenting is the one thing I wish I never had to do- asking forgiveness. 

As a mama, my patience has been tried beyond anything I could have imagined before babies. I hate when I let my anger get the best of me or don't slow down long enough to let them verbalize their emotions. I'm often in a rush when I should stop and soak them in and sometimes I miss opportunities to teach lessons throughout the day.

Sadly, I often carry around my mommy guilt as though it's some kind of trophy, as if bearing this burden somehow makes me a better mother, instead of focusing on the truth- I'm enough because I have Him and He is enough. Even in my faults and failures I love Him and I love them and this guilt does nothing but inhibit my ability to see His grace permeate every one of my inevitable human failures. 

As a parent, I need to be a representation of Christ to them. But at the same time I am not Christ, I am human and I need to be able to model for them that perfection is not attainable or even aspirational. It is a burden we were never meant to bear. So I stand before them, apologize, admit mama was wrong and ask for their forgiveness. 

I may not be the healthiest chef, the greatest housekeeper or the most inspiring educator (Props to all of you who are, I want to be more like you.), but I am working on setting an example in humility, grace and asking forgiveness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment