Sunday, February 16, 2014

When You Get What You Prayed For

This morning I woke up extremely excited to go to church. Not that I'm not usually anticipating a great service, but this morning I was going to get to hear my pastors from "home." The pastors from the church I grew up in back in Louisiana were here in Oklahoma and I couldn't wait to hear them bring the Word.

I have been asking God for days that I be able to say hi to them at church. I know that sounds like a small thing, but the church they were speaking at had three services back to back and I knew that they would be whisked from one service to the next quickly and the likelihood of seeing them was slim. They would probably be taken through some back hallway to the other sanctuary before the service even completely ended.

As the morning got rolling and we headed to church, nothing quite went the way I planned. Even as praise and worship started, I was trying hard to focus on being in the moment and not thinking about everything else, but most of all I was looking forward to hearing them speak and having a little piece of home right here in Oklahoma. There is just something special about the church you grew up in. After I moved away I spent years trying to find a church exactly like home and I finally had to come to the understanding that in my mind there will never be another church like it and I hope my kids feel the same way about the amazing church they will grow up in here in OK.

But I put all of that out of my mind as Pastors Denny and DeAnza Duron took the stage and I was ready to soak it all it...

Not five minutes had passed and my phone started to vibrate. I didn't want to look down. I knew exactly what I would see when I did.

Yep, Baby Girl just wasn't having it. A new place and a new nursery and R was in a different room. I had so eagerly anticipated this morning and NOTHING was going the way I planned it. I left the service before they really even started and all I could do was laugh all the while saying to myself, "I know better than to get my hopes up." Yea, I know. I was having a bit of a pity party.

So Baby Girl and I played in the lobby while we watched the rest of the service through the glass wall at the back or the sanctuary. We couldn't hear anything, but I would take what I could get. Of course she is always worth it, but I was still bummed.

I could see the service was wrapping up and I waited for them to be whisked out the back to the other service all ready in progress, when all of a sudden I realized there was no back hallway and they would walking directly towards the door where Baby Girl and I were standing. As they walked into the lobby with their escorts directing them to their next engagement, I caught their glance. They were definitely surprised. And while it might only have been briefly, I got to talk with my pastors. I got to hug them and show off my Baby Girl. I got to tell them that we came to church here this morning just for them and I got to tell them how much we love and appreciate them. Like I said, it might have been a full minute, but in the end - God answered my prayer.

The morning might not have looked like I wanted it to, but God knew my heart and He orchestrated His Will to meet my heart's desires and for that I am grateful.

It's the little things that aren't so little.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that!!! It's so true...He knows JUST how to bless our hearts with the not so little moments :-)

    ReplyDelete