When my Mama asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told her I wanted a weekend with her- no agenda, no timetables. I wanted to shop, eat and hang out with her. (I extended the offer to my dad as well, but the idea of spending almost three full days shopping for some reason just didn't appeal to him.)
I have so many wonderful friends in and around Dallas and I'm sorry to all of you that I never mentioned I was coming in town. I am very protective of the little time I get with my Mom. I usually can't even manage a five minute conversation without screaming toddlers in my ears and I was ready to soak in every second.
This past weekend, we took our trip.
I was able to take a much needed break from reality. I got up bright and early on Friday (I felt like it was Christmas morning), grabbed my Starbucks and headed to meet my Mama in Dallas- and boy was I grinning from ear to ear. I had two and a half days to just be... I knew I would miss Jeff and the girls, but I also knew that this was in EVERYONE's best interest. Mama needed some time to rest and relax.
We ate and we shopped and then we shopped and we ate and then we shopped some more. It was PERFECT.
If you haven't seen my Mama lately, she looks AMAZING! She's always been beautiful, but now shopping together is even more fun. We spent hours in Ikea, fell in love with a fabulous sushi restaurant and managed our way through crazy Dallas traffic without accident or ticket. At some point on Friday night, we became delirious from traveling and over-shopping (if that's even possible), and we found ourselves hilariously laughing at any and everything. I am quite certain the man we rode the elevator with thought we were drunk, but if you know us that was definitely not the case. We quickly made friends with the hotel staff as we spent ample time in the hotel cafe after discovering their fabulous food.
Saturday night I got a text from Jeff making sure I knew that bad weather was coming my way in the morning. We weren't very concerned and didn't think too much about it, until we woke up the next morning to hear about all the snow and ice covering both of my route options back to Oklahoma. I still planned on making the trek, not worrying too much about the roads, but one after another I received calls and texts from friends telling me just how bad the road conditions were out there. I knew I should stay put, but I was feeling really guilty- mom was supposed to be back at work on Monday, Jeff would have the girls one more day and we would need to find someone to watch them while he went to work. It still just felt like it was more work to figure everything out then to just drive back in the snow, but ultimately we got it all worked out and mom and I just stayed put. We have wonderful and gracious family who helped with the girls on Friday and Monday and I got another full day to spend with my Mama.
So we spent all of Sunday at the Galleria. We didn't realize that it opened at noon and got there almost an hour and a half early, so I grabbed my Starbucks and we just sat there and talked and watched the little kids learn to skate. I guess God thought I needed one more day, and who am I to disagree.
Monday morning we got up, ate another fabulous breakfast at our hotel (they had the best food!), and then headed our separate ways.
I always hate saying goodbye, but we made some wonderful and crazy memories. I hope this can be an annual event! Love you Mama!
The roads were still a little dicy on the drive back. And all day people were texting and calling me with their friend's horror stories after they chose to drive through the storm, so needless to say I feel we made the right choice! Jeff and I had made a last minute decision before I left home that I would take the SUV (that has All-Wheel Drive), instead of our little Altima. I was very glad to be driving a bigger vehicle with much better traction. God was looking out for me and I didn't even know it!
And this is what I got to come home to. It was so sweet to watch their eyes light up when I went in to get them after their naps. I've never been away from them like that before. So while I very much enjoyed the sleep and relaxation, it was so good to be home.
Nothing can beat a view like this one.




No comments:
Post a Comment