Somehow one year to the day, Jeff and I found ourselves sitting outside of the same Starbucks were we had walked across the street to get coffee while waiting to take home our little girl from the hospital. It didn't take long for all of the emotions to come rushing back.

As I laid in bed last night, I began to think back to the year before and I could see it all with complete clarity. I can remember the faces of the people sitting around us while we drank our coffee. I can still see the picture in my mind of my not so appetizing breakfast. I can remember the ice machine outside our room and laughter of the nurses enjoying their slow evening when I could not sleep for sheer excitement. I can remember getting up in the middle of the night just to be with her in the nursery while the she had her hearing test. I was overwhelmed with the wonderful hospital staff who went above and beyond to make our stay as easy as possible. I was humbled by the response of every person we encountered who wanted to hear Baby Girl's story and am looking forward to the day that she will be able to proudly tell it herself. And I will never forget holding my Baby Girl for the first time and finally having the complete realization that I walked into the hospital a mother of one and would walk out a mother of two.
I honestly don't have the same memories from when R was born. It didn't take me long to realize why one was so clear and the other was a complete haze- I was not in labor, doped up on pain medication or unable to move anywhere on my own. I had grasped the gravity of the situation and was in complete awe of the sacrifice of her birthparents and knew the amazing responsibility and honor that I was being given. I didn't want to miss anything.
I had no idea what this past year would bring, but in my eyes it could not have been more perfect. Not only did we gain our Baby Girl, but we gained so many new and deepened relationships. I pray everyday that my girls will always know how loved they are and I have no doubt that will never be a question in their mind. God's hand has been upon this journey every step of the way and I can't wait to see what He has in store next.
Happy 1st Birthday Baby Girl!
Such a beauty! What a special day... love seeing pics of your girls.
ReplyDeleteThanks Becca! It was a wonderful day!
ReplyDelete