Wednesday, August 14, 2013

My First Day of High School

It only seems fitting that while everyone is heading back to school I would enlighten you all with a story about my first day of high school.

Let me first give you a little history about me.

I went to a private school from preschool through 8th grade and I graduated with a class of 27 people. So I was at the same (small) school for over a decade. I knew every nook and cranny of the school and I knew everyone- their parents, siblings and pets. I liked the familiarity and now that was all going away.

Now I was headed to high school and while it definitely wasn't the biggest school around, going from a class of 27 to a class of 365 was a big jump for me. Like most other freshman, my goal for this first day was to make it to all of my classes and to get there on time. I started off strong, but it didn't last. I had done a little bit of recon to make sure I knew where everything was and I thought I was set, until I had to go to English class.

I was off to room T-27. (Of course the "T" stood for temporary. Those lovely buildings they randomly put places on campus when they run out of room elsewhere.) So I walked down the looong stretch of temporary buildings. T-23. T-24. T-25. T-26. And that was the end. I freaked out! Where is T-27?!? I wandered aimlessly through this brand new school, full of unfamiliar faces trying desperately to look like I knew what I was doing. I finally ended up at the front office and someone escorted me back to T-27, which was behind every other building in the entire school.

There were five minutes left of class. And my teacher says as I'm escorted through the door, "Oh! My lost little lamb!"

I just thought, "Kill. Me. Now."

My worst nightmare had come true. What a way to start off my first day of high school. I guess it could only go up from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment