My dad walks over and introduces himself to my new friend, they had a brief conversation before dad sat down with me.
After our hour long chat together, daddy stood up to leave, walked over to the man, called him by his first name and said it was nice to meet him. The man responsed inkind by recalling both of our names and proceeding to give us the genealogical history of each of them. (If only they could have gotten a glimpse of the stranger's face behind them as she overheard the history lesson given between these obvious strangers.)
But honestly by this point I was feeling a bit embarrassed. I had made no effort to remember this gentleman's name. I was there to hang out with my dad, but maybe God had us there for another reason. I had my eyes set only on my plans for the day, not His. And there is something about a name. When someone calls you by name, when they choose to remember who you are, they place value and importance on you as a unique individual. I think that's what God would want us to do.
Now of course remembering someone's name is not that only way we can do that, but it is an awfully good way to start.
What's in a name?
A connection. An open door. A way to be Jesus.
Thanks Daddy for continuing to teach me the important things in life, even as an adult and even when you don't mean to.
Now of course remembering someone's name is not that only way we can do that, but it is an awfully good way to start.
What's in a name?
A connection. An open door. A way to be Jesus.
Thanks Daddy for continuing to teach me the important things in life, even as an adult and even when you don't mean to.
So sweet :-)
ReplyDelete