I don't know if a 4 hour drive and an overnight hotel stay with two babies under two is really considered a "getaway," but it was our first traveling experience as a family of four. And other than being SOOO cold, it went pretty well. We definitely learned some traveling lessons along the way, but you've got to start somewhere!
We made the ever important Starbucks stop about halfway to Branson. Mama is ALWAYS happier when coffee is involved. We ran in really quick to let R stretch her legs and let everyone have a pit stop. As I came out of the restroom, I noticed Jeff giving R little tastes of the whip cream on top of my frappicino, so I continued giving them to her as well. Once I was ready to drink it, I stuck the straw in and noticed there was whip cream coming out of the top, so I offered it to R. What was I thinking?!? Of course before I could even react, she had downed as much sugar-filled coffee as she could possibly swallow. Another proud mom moment for sure : /
We made a stop by the hotel's indoor pool. R LOVES the water and it was a wonderful escape from the snow outside. However to get to the pool, you had to go outside first and that was a very cold walk for those in swimsuits!
(Yes, her floaty is on backwards. It wasn't working the other way so we tried turning it around... neither way worked for us, so it will be going back to the store.)
This is where Baby Girl stayed most of the weekend- tucked inside her cozy carseat surrounded by toys and blankets. It was too cold to be pulling her in and out in the rain and snow.
I think this picture will forever remind me of one of my favorite memories with Baby Girl. She woke up VERY early in the morning while we were at the hotel. The girls were sharing an adjoining room, so I ran in very quickly to get her so she wouldn't wake up R. After trying unsuccessfully to get her to go back to sleep in her pack-in-play, I finally just laid her down next to me on the bed and pulled her face close to mine so that we were cheek to cheek. Neither of the girls have slept with us before, so this was a first for me. She feel asleep with her face next to mine, her thumb in her mouth and her finger clutching on to my nose instead of her own. I will forever have that mental image etched into my mind.
It was so wonderful to have my nieces and nephew there with us as well. R loves her cousins and since this little girl is nonstop I enjoyed the break!
Yep, this is what happens when you try to sit down for a meal with this little girl. She is either jumping on your lap, dashing across the store, getting some kind of sauce on everything and everyone or just hiding under the table. Can you tell why it's taken us almost 8 months to travel with both of them? This one alone always has me on my toes!
"For the love mama! Just let me run!"
We spent a full snow-filled day at Silver Dollar City. Almost all of the rides were closed because it was so cold. We kept hoping the temperature would rise and we could enjoy the park, but instead we just walked around...in the snow...for hours. But at least we had great people to keep us company and with our season passes hopefully we will have plenty of opportunities to return when the weather is nice.
R didn't seem to mind the weather, but the rest of us were freezing. She would run through the snow and try to make snowballs and and throw them, just like her cousins.
The one thing R got to ride was the carousel. When the ride started, she seemed to be enjoying herself.
But by the time it had spun around a few times this is what I saw.
What a sweet daddy.
He tried really hard, but the carousel was just not her thing, at least not today.
She did however enjoy thawing out in one of the stores while making some new friends!
I've said it before and it still holds true. She is a full on daddy's girl! Even if she didn't go on many rides, she loved wandering the streets of Silver Dollar City and hanging out with her cousins. She definitely has some of her daddy's Minnesota blood in her because the cold didn't phase her one bit.
These were by far my favorite photos of the weekend! Papa was keeping Baby Girl warm during one of the few times she managed to escape from her carseat. She too seemed to enjoy the cold, but I think I could have enjoyed it more if I had on a full body parka and had people carrying me around! : )
It is a whole different world traveling with babies and toddlers. There are too many stories to tell from our only 36 hour trip in one blog post if that says anything! I am slowly trying to let go of my desire to want to control everything because with babies that is just not possible and that is hard for me. I am learning to go with the flow and enjoy the moment.
















No comments:
Post a Comment