Friday, May 24, 2013

Home Sweet Home

Very rarely do I make it home to Louisiana any more. Life and babies (who aren't too keen on traveling) topped with the fact that I would likely be making the trip alone with these active little ones just doesn't make it an attractive option. But last week we did just that. My parents were in town for Baby Girl's dedication (which in itself is another post altogether!) and then my daddy stayed and went back with the girls and I on Monday morning.


This picture accurately describes our family in a nutshell.

The trip down with two adults (one per child) wasn't all that bad. We definitely learned some things along the way, but all in all, it could have been worse! I can't say the same for my solo trip back though. But boy was it nice to be home. I did my best while we were there to not plan too many things outside of hanging out with family and a couple of friends. I had just a few of main objectives- to hang out with my parents, see Roxie, celebrate my cousin's graduation from high school, meet my pen pal and eat lots of great food. Per that list, my trip was a total success!

As usual, our first stop was Graphic Industries, the family business. It's crazy to see R run around the plant and all of the presses just like I did when I was her age. I know these aren't the best quality photos, but they mean a lot to me. 


There have been a lot of changes to the business through the years, but some things never change! You don't have to be blood to be family. Auntie Lisa has been in my life since I was a baby and now she gets to watch my babies grow up.

DC, how do you work like this?! : )

No DC, you do it THIS way. 
(She's not her mother's daughter or anything :)


There's just nothing like the familiarity that comes with going home. So many people and places with such wonderful memories and now I get to introduce my own kids to my Louisiana home. I feel that home is full of people who know you in a way that only happens when you grow up some where. These people are full of stories and memories of who you were before you even knew who you were. Those awkward years of self-discovery or rebellion are not lost to them like many who only met you in adulthood. There are things that you can laugh at with them that no one else could possibly understand. There is a connection with people who were with you at that stage of life like no other. 

I have been blessed with so many amazing people in my life! But there is one friend who I have done life with for as long as I can remember and she made the trip from Mississippi just to hang out with me and my baby girls. Auntie Roxie is the best! And I want to make sure that my girls never know a time without her! Every family needs a crazy aunt, right?! Well that's her! 



You know you friend is dating a good guy when he comes to your cousin's graduation party and plays with your kids : ) 


Our first good picture of the two of us in years!



Aunt Roxie, no matter how hard you try my hair will NEVER look like yours! Stop with the balloon!

I LOVE this picture!


There is never enough time to hang out with your best friend, but we made the most of every second that we did have together. Time changes a lot of things, but not best friends. You just pick up where you left off.

While we were in town the girls decided that they wouldn't abide by their normal sleep schedules. Not really that surprising, but this mama was holding out hope. However, Dovie and DC would get up with R every morning and give me at least a little bit of a break. Baby Girl was often up early too, but I could usually coax her into an early nap and try to grab a nap myself (although I'm not sure it's considered a nap when the sun still isn't up). I know those mornings were some of their favorite times with the girls. They are already complaining of the house being too quiet! 

We got to spend some one on one time with both of my parents during the week, but the one that still makes me laugh was when the girls and I took Dovie to Target with us for an afternoon excursion. We were supposed to leave the house at noonish... almost four hours later we finally make it out the door. After about 45 mins of finding the items we needed and meandering through racks of clothes that we didn't, we checked out. On our way out the door, I commented about what a successful trip we had- no one threw a fit and there were no tears.  My mom's response - "Except mine!" From then on, she just kept the girls while I ran errands. That works great for me! 

A friend of mine asked me how much I had to pay the girls to act that way, so that I could get some free time. No payment needed! That's just my girls :) 

I have a ton more pictures and stories from my trip, so I will spread over a few posts! I hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. A very lovely family. I am happy myself to see the others being happy. It is natural for human nature. Thank you. God bless your family. Basil. Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete