At the beginning of the school year, I received a mass email from the alumni director of the school I attend from preschool through 8th grade. Southfield will always have a special place in my heart! They were looking for alums who were willing to be pen pals to their fifth grade students, so that they could learn how to write letters. I LOVE opportunities like this and jumped on board. Only later did I realize that they would be having a "tea" so that the pen pals could meet at the end of the school year. I felt terrible! I live hundreds of miles away. I could only imagine this little girl sitting all alone at her pen pal tea. Thankfully it all worked out and I was able to be in town for the tea as well as my cousin's high school graduation party! I was relieved and excited.
When I arrived at the school, I was welcomed by friendly faces that were there 13 years ago when I graduated! I got to talk with friends I hadn't seen since graduation and faculty that are still there all this time. The party started with the pen pals calling up their buddies and reading a poem about them to their family and friends and then we had a chance to sit and talk. It was wonderful!
Meet my sweet pen pal.
After our little chat, she and her friend (whose pen pal couldn't make it), gave me a tour of all the new things going on at the school. We're going to keep in touch : )
She gave me a copy of the poem she wrote about me/for me and on the back was a sweet saying...
I don't know if it's true or if in five years she will even remember who I am, but my heart has always been to pour into the lives of others. And this little note was a wonderful reminder to focus on the things that really last.


No comments:
Post a Comment