Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Time Has Come … For A Big Girl Bed

When you become a parent you think you understand that your kids will grow-up…but then they actually do. 

I know that many of you have grown children and will think - "You just wait! It only goes faster from here!" But I'm not ready to think that yet. R is just over two and I'm already struggling enough with that fact.

But today we put a "big girl bed" in her room. I had only been talking about it for a week or so since I came into her room during nap time and found her straddling the top of the crib trying to escape. Those LONG legs of hers won't last much longer in that bed, even if we changed it to a toddler bed. She's taller than most three year-olds and they don't even have a percentage high enough for her on the height charts. So I thought that by Christmas we would try and find something for her.

God, however, had other plans. (Doesn't He always??) I got a phone call from my sweet sister-in-law yesterday who had a twin mattress that she wanted out…right away.  So we picked it up last night. 

I went from theoretically getting R a bigger bed by Christmas, that likely wouldn't have happened, to having it done within the week. It was such a whirlwind for me that after I put it all together, I stood back and held in the tears. I'm not typically an emotional person, but I hadn't had time to process any of this before it was already completely done.

God understands me. Don't give me time to over think things. He knows that I will do what He asks, but I'm much less resistant if I can't overanalyze. 

"Here's a new baby. She'll be here in two months."
"You're not looking for a part-time job? Good! Here's one."
"I want you to keep up with your photography. So without any advertising I will just keep dropping clients in your lap."

Ok, God. I get it.

While I have my reservations as to how quickly she will take to her new bed, it's up and waiting for her! The crib is still in her room, so thankfully there is no rush. She currently fights nap time, although she desperately needs one daily and she's up before dawn every morning, so the new bed will mean new freedoms that I am DEFINITELY NOT ready for her to have. But the hardest part of it, is just realizing that my baby isn't always going to be a baby.

Now of course, she will always be MY baby. But she won't always be a baby.

So say a prayer for us that we can all keep our sanity in this process, and say one for me that I can hold it together because I have a feeling there's no slowing her down.


No comments:

Post a Comment