Nowadays pretty, pretty princess takes on a whole new meaning.
For those of you who didn't know, my life for many years revolved around pageants. I always said that pageants were just big girls playing dress-up, and it's true! Now I'm playing dress-up again, but the clothes cost a lot less and the judges aren't nearly as critical.
R is just getting to the point where she likes to pick out her clothes. She enjoys pink tutus, furry boots and anything that sparkles. She LOVES shoes. I'm learning that being girly is not something that has to be taught. It is innate.
I'll be the first to admit that they do not look like this every day. In fact, most of the pictures are caught in that perfect moment before R rips the bow out and then runs Cheerios through her hair or Kinley explodes through her diaper. These are the "ideal" pictures, but I like to look at them because they give me the delusion of a calm, normal life. But I wouldn't change it for the world.
Why the princess blog? Well this Saturday night (on ABC), the Miss America pageant is on! To anyone around or involved in the pageant system, this is the Superbowl! I cannot wait. I have two friends competing this year. They are both amazing state representatives and I know they will do wonderfully. But just as a throwback, I have included some old school photos of my pageant days.
I think I looked forward to this part all week at Miss Louisiana, when my daddy got to walk me across stage. I don't know, just something about having him there with me made everything better. I guess that's what daddies are for.
During my reign as Miss Shreveport, I received a call one day to interview for a summer internship with the Mayor. I was unaware that I applied for such an internship, but was happy to interview. When I asked about it, the caller said that he had asked specially that I be a part. What an honor and a great experience!
I was also able to travel to Las Vegas to watch Miss America with my parents. Such a special time.
My platform always had something to do with children. I was able to speak with so many kids. I addressed school assemblies as an ambassador of the Character Counts Organization or played and entertained kids in local children's hospitals. It is such a wonder how a crown can open up so many doors... and hearts.
One of my absolute favorite parts of being a part of the Miss Louisiana system was the Fleur de Lis Princess program. Each state has their own name for it, but ultimately it is a mentoring program where the contestants "adopt" younger girls for the year. They bring them along to appearances, develop relationships with them and the girls join them on stage during the state pageant. I am grateful that six years have passed and I still keep up with these girl, who are now young women!
This moment is one I will remember for the rest of my life- Miss Teen Louisiana 2003. The girl standing beside me would become one of my best friends and five years later would be a maid of honor at my wedding.
Lauren and I spent our entire senior year of high school together, traveling all over the state and even adventuring to NYC and Atlantic City for Miss America! She is such an amazing blessing to me. I developed friends through my pageant years that will stay with me for the rest of my life.
My amazing support system.
I may have lost some of you with the plethora of old pictures. I was just enjoying a walk down memory lane. I get that most people don't understand pageants, but I honestly believe that I would not be the same person had I not been involved in them. I became more determined, self-aware, articulate, healthy, poised and informed. I developed the ability to walk into any room and feel comfortable, speak extemporaneously without anxiety and interview for a job with ease. I was able to impact lives that I otherwise would have never reached and make friends that will last a lifetime. I know it's not for everyone, but for me... it was extraordinary.













Loved seeing your pageant pics! You hang on tight to them and pull them out on days you feel a little less than glamorous... sometimes that's what I do. :) Your girls are gonna LOVE seeing these in coming years.
ReplyDeleteI remember your first year of pageants - and I also remembering having fun trying on all of your dresses :) Such a fun walk down memory lane!
ReplyDelete